Thursday, January 7, 2010

Will perfume and air freshner harm my rats?

I was wondering if strong smells like perfume, air freshner, febreze, etc. would harm rats if they were constantly exposed to it? I plan on keeping them in my bedroom, but I spray perfume every morning and have a glade plug-in that is always producing a nice aroma. If these scents will harm my ratties, what illness could they possibly cause?





Thanks!Will perfume and air freshner harm my rats?
Perfume and/or air freshener will probably give your rats active myco. Every rat outside of a lab has a bacterium called mycoplasma ( http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/myco鈥?/a> ), but not every rat gets sick from it. Myco is activated by stress, drafts, dust (both house dust and the kind you get from the wrong type of bedding), phenols (the ';natural'; chemicals that make cedar and pine shavings smell so nice), strong smells like perfume, cologne, etc., and cigarette smoke.





If you MUST use perfume, move the rats to another room as far away from the perfume as possible, and make sure you never wear/use it around the rats. Even then, you're running quite a risk. Vet bills from active myco can become quite large in very short order.Will perfume and air freshner harm my rats?
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole febreeze being toxic to animals was a myth that other air freshener companies made up so that people would stop buying it. Though perfumes and air fresheners can be very harmful to rats. Almost all rats carry a disease known as mycoplasmosis and by having this smell this could react with their delicate respiratory systems and it could make them very sick. I wouldn't recommend it.
Yes, they will harm them. At best, they would irritate the animals' respiratory tract. Febreeze is toxic to animals, too (I can't believe they use pets in their commericals!) If I were you, I would not use anything like that at all around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment